Thursday, October 22, 2009

Small Successes - 40

Since I haven't listed any of these in a while, I've been racking them up:

1) When we moved into our house over a year ago, we decided that the living room windows needed some kind of window treatment. There were faux wood blinds, but they needed something else. Plus, there were fancy curtain rods still hanging up from the previous owners. So, a few months later, we found these valances that matched the color scheme perfectly, so we bought them and brought them home. Well, you know how things like that are always creased when they come out of the package, but you just want to hang them up right away to see how they look? Yes, you know what I'm going to say. There they stayed, creases and all, for the next 10 or 11 months. Finally, a few weeks ago, I took them down, washed them and ironed them, and rehung them. Hooray, they look even nicer than they did!

2) I cleaned out my spice/herb cabinets (I have 2 small shelves by the stove and more shelves by the mixing area) and made a list of what was almost gone or used up. Before I went to the spice/herb sale at the grocery store!

3) I bought 36 pounds of apples at the grocery store on Tuesday for $12 (making them 33 cents a pound!). So far I have peeled and sliced half of them for applesauce. I have discovered that it takes 3 pounds of apples to make 1 quart of applesauce. My current total is 5 quarts in the freezer, a bunch eaten, and 3 quarts simmering on the stove as I type. 2 more batches to go! Simmering applesauce sure makes the house smell good!


Go to Faith and Family Live to read more Small Successes!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Janet!
Great list of successes! I found your blog through the Faith and family Live site! Congratulations on your new little one. I pray that the delivery will joy filled and safe.
Blessings and Grace,
mary

Kansas Mom said...

Well done! I didn't post today, but I did bake and puree our first pumpkin and then made pumpkin muffins and bread because I was so excited about it.

I love fall!

Unknown said...

what recipie to you use for your applesauce?

House of Brungardt said...

Thank you Mary! And welcome!

Kansas Mom, I hope you post about your pumpkin baking because I want to do that too. I'll check!

Gretchen, I don't really follow a recipe. This is what I did. I peeled 9 pounds of apples, which is the max amount that fits into my big soup pot. I then used a little gadget that cores and slices and threw them all in the pot. I put about a cup of water in, brought it to a boil and then simmered for 1-2 hours until at the right consistency. I stirred frequently and at the end I added 1/3 cup sugar and about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon. Easily adjusted to your family's taste. It made 3 quarts of applesauce. I don't bother pureeing it because we like the soft little chunks that are in there!