Friday, October 16, 2009

Humbling Moments

It doesn't take long for a new mom to realize that with parenthood comes the opportunity for many a humbling moment.

I took the kids to the doctor yesterday for Dominic's asthma checkup and all was going well until it was time for flu shots. They asked if I wanted to go ahead and get them for all the kids and I said okay. I tried not to say the word "shot" and it seemed to work. I've learned it's better just to surprise them at the last second. Well, then the nurse came in and said they were all out of the injections, did I want to give them the Flu-Mist? You might think this is a good thing, but I had intended to just get them all the same thing and Dominic can't have the Flu-Mist because he has asthma. I knew however, that he would be somewhat protected through herd immunity, so I said okay on the other three.

As the nurse left, I made the fatal mistake. "Guess what guys, you don't have to get a shot! You just get a little squirt in your nose!" The girls immediately started fussing and almost crying. What's the matter? It won't hurt. It might just tickle a little. "I don't like being tickled!" "Boo-hoo!" This of course spread to Joseph and he started to fuss a little. Here I thought I was off the hook. When the nurse came in Anne started getting hysterical, so I had them give it to Joseph first. He sat on my lap and it was over so fast he didn't even react. This of course didn't faze Anne, who was convinced SHE DID NOT WANT A SQUIRT IN HER NOSE! I was barely able to contain her and they got it in so fast she barely noticed. I thought, good, the worst is over.

Wrong! Dominic started crying because he didn't get one. Then we had to stop at the weight/BP/temp station so they could document vital signs for the vaccine recipients. Anne cried when they checked her blood pressure. Then to top it all off, Joseph refused to stand on the scales. So finally I had to get on there with him and listen to the nurse announce our combined weight. Then I had to step on by myself so she could subtract my weight to get his. ____ pounds, she announced loudly. At least it sounded loud to me and I mumbled something about oh, it must be that baby in Mommy's tummy.

Time to use the hand sanitizer and get the circus out of there!

3 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

So sorry!

Unknown said...

You should hear Sean scream when he gets a shot--it is the most piercing thing!!! I do believe the whole building hears it.

House of Brungardt said...

I guess we'll get to "pay them back" when they are teenagers, right?