Monday, October 5, 2009

Proud of the Pesto!

Here is a shot of our 3 pots of basil from this summer.
Since we had an abundance of basil this year, I decided to try making pesto, which I had never done before. Since I looked at a couple of different recipes and made mine different than both, I have to write(type) it down so I don't forget what I did. :)
I made it three times and each time was a little different, but they were all good. I was hoping to put some in the freezer, but we ended up eating it all. Next year!
Pesto
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1-4 cloves garlic, depending on how much you like garlic (actually the 3rd time I made it, I was pregnant and I left out the garlic altogether, and it still tasted good)
1/8-1/2 cup pine nuts, or walnuts (I used pecans one time and it was good)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (or just use all Parmesan)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Wash the basil leaves well and blot dry. Add and puree each ingredient in turn, as listed, in food processor (or blender), scraping down sides of processor after each ingredient is added and pureed. If you can, run your food processor while you stream in the olive oil and the pesto will become smooth during this step. This will make 1 to 1and1/2 cups of pesto. You can use it with pasta, or as a spread in sandwiches, or as a spread on grilled bread.
In the picture below, I sauteed some cut-up chicken breast, meanwhile making pasta according to directions. I tossed the hot pasta with the sauteed chicken, some black olives, and the pesto. Wow, was it good! I also made it one time without chicken as a side dish.

No comments: