Monday, April 4, 2011

It Was All Worth It, Or, Sometimes You Just Gotta Do What You Gotta Do

To continue on with the story of the minivan that wouldn't start yesterday (see previous post):

Anthony does not like the 11:30 am Mass.  I spent almost the whole time holding him and walking around in the back of church yesterday, until my fingers grew numb.  And no, I can't stand and just hold him, I have to be moving, or he starts squawking. 

I was rewarded with a sudden feeling of wetness on my left side right before Communion.  Looking at Anthony, I discovered that his diaper was leaking (I probably need to move him up a size, but I'm on the last pack of the current size) and there were wet spots on the front of his pants.  I turned him facing out so my shirt wouldn't get any wetter and tried to cover the wet spots with my arm while I walked up to the front of the church for Communion.  Of course we ended up in the Bishop's line (he happened to be there yesterday), but I was comforted by the thought that he would never notice wet spots on my baby's pants.  Then I walked out to change him and realized that now most of the front of his pants were pretty wet.  And his change of clothes was out in the truck.  Naturally! 

So I got his diaper changed and just left him pantless.  After that we stood out in the gathering space until the procession came out.  Then we made a speedy exit. 

As the gas tank in the truck was running on fumes, I stopped for gas and Anthony did not like that one bit.  Then, we stopped at the auto parts store to pick up a new battery for the minivan, hoping that that would solve the problem.  The woman assisting me asked me questions that I could not answer so I called Dan so he could decide what we needed for sure.  Meanwhile Anthony was violently squirming and being very fussy.  And so, the pregnant cashier carried the battery out to the truck for me as my "hands were very full." 

Was it all worth it? 

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

Dan replaced the battery (which was 7 years old) and the minivan started up easily!  Wahoo!

And we were very thankful that this did not happen while I was out with the kids somewhere far away from here.