Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day Of School!

We started school yesterday! Our first official day ever. The kids have been so excited. Catherine is in Kindergarten, Dominic and Anne are doing a bit of preschool, and Joseph gets to be a big boy and sit at the table with everyone else, doing his own "school." Here they are, pencil boxes in hand, all lined up and ready to go. (Dominic dressed himself.)
On our first day, we took pictures, traced around everyone's hands, and examined all the new school supplies in the pencil boxes. They each have pencils, colored pencils, an eraser, a glue stick, scissors, and a little notebook. Then we have a bigger box filled with crayons and markers that they all share.

I was surprised how fast it went. I am using the Catholic Heritage Curricula for Catherine and it didn't take long to breeze through reading, math, and religion. For the twins, they sit and do a lot of coloring and cutting, and I have some various workbooks that they like to do. They also listen to what Catherine learns. Joseph sits next to me and he does his own little thing. He'll get out his little notebook and scribble things in it, then he spends a lot of time cuttting little pieces of paper or playing with Play-Doh. He is also very interested in that glue stick, so I'll have to be careful with that.

So we have lots of time to do other things, like drawing, coloring, painting, and reading lots of books. I've decided to play classical music in the morning as well. They really liked that, in fact they started dancing around the room when I first put it on.

Speaking of painting, right now they are in a watercolor painting craze. Dan set up a table in the garage with paints and paper and they will sit out there for an hour at a time, painting away.
We have finished 2 days of school and so far we are doing well. And what's more important, the kids are still excited about school! :)


2 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

I thought of you yesterday with your first day of school. I'm glad it's going well! I'm envious of your painting table in the garage...I found paint underneath my kitchen table and pretty much covering the entire chair First Daughter was using. Ah, well, we won't paint every week.

House of Brungardt said...

Oh, yesterday we left the garage doors open and that crazy wind blew everything off the table, including the very long dropcloth! And, they've almost used up a box of watercolors each. I should have gotten more when they were on sale!