Thursday, August 13, 2009

Small Successes - 30

1) I went from this:

To this:

To this: Nine bags of green peppers now in the freezer! In case you are wondering, I first froze them on a tray, then transferred them to the bags, so they wouldn't freeze in a big clump. And I'm not sure why some of the peppers turned purple, they taste the same as the others.

2) I tried a new recipe - Fried Cucumbers! We have an abundance of cukes and you can only eat so many of them raw. I'd make pickles, but they are too big for that.

Here's what I did:

Slice 2 cucumbers and lay them on a towel to absorb extra moisture. I peeled mine but I don't think you'd have to. Heat approx. 1/2 cup vegetable oil in frying pan to medium-high. Mix one egg with a little milk in a shallow dish and put a cup of flour mixed with salt in another dish. Dip each cucumber slice in turn first in the egg, then in the flour and place in the hot oil. Fry on each side for a couple minutes and then let cool on paper towels. They were pretty good! Definitely something different to do with cucumbers. Next time I might try some seasoned salt in with the flour or maybe a batter instead.

3) One thing new to us when we moved out to the country was our big propane tank out in the yard on the side of the house. We don't have access to natural gas, so we use propane for our heater, for the water heater, and for the stove. As you can imagine, we use a lot in the winter, but not much in the summer. Over the past year, whenever the 500 gallon tank got low, I called and a few days later the big propane truck came out and filled it up. When August rolls around, you have the opportunity to sign a contract for so many gallons at a lower, fixed rate. If you prepay. I knew the deadline was approaching, so I found our receipts from this past year (which took a little while, as my filing system still isn't in shape from our move a year ago - maybe that can be on next week's list!), from which I could calculate how many gallons we used in a year. Then this morning I sat down with the contract and realized I needed to get it in the mail today, so I took care of it, after a phone call to Dan to decide for sure how many gallons we wanted for the next year. Cross that off my list of things to do!

Go to Faith and Family Live to read more Small Successes!

4 comments:

ViolinMama said...

one handed typing with baby....but loved this!!!!!

Unknown said...

love your idea of freezing the peppers separately not to make a big part frozen together that don't fit in the fridge. I'll use the idea. Congrats!
Agnes @ http://agnieszkasblog.wordpress.com/

Kansas Mom said...

Oh, we have a ton of cucumbers. I hadn't thought to fry them. We've been eating them on lettuce and I've made some salads. I wonder if I could convince Kansas Dad to try fried.

And (I know this is random), but I love your sink!

House of Brungardt said...

Yeah, the peppers are hiding the stains in the bottom of that white sink. I made sure there were enough peppers. Ha! Maybe I'll have to get out the bleach. I can list that next week!