Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Confession

I am not a very computer-savvy kind of girl. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be a blogger, I would have had to ask you what a blog was. Then when you told me, I would have laughed at you. Well, here I am. It's all Dan's fault, really. One day, he just up and started a blog for our family. I thought he was crazy. What on earth would we write about?

I still remember the first blog entry I posted and how nervous I was and how long it took. At first I posted maybe once a week. I just didn't have any ideas. As I continued on, it got easier. I learned some of the blogging "etiquette" and lingo, how to link things, and then ideas for posts would start to pop into my head. Whether they stayed there long enough to make it on the blog, now that is another story!

I have come to realize the value of doing this for myself. First and foremost is a recording of the anecdotes and funny things that happen in our family that I would otherwise probably forget after a while. Second, it is good for me to do a little writing in preparation for homeschooling. Third, it is interesting to me to see the things that Dan posts (usually something to do with the current political, Catholic, or pro-life scene - he is the internet news junkie). And finally, it has been a whole new world for me to get out in the blogging world and read other Catholic blogs, esp. the Mommy ones, and get encouragement, inspiration, and a real sense of community. Not that it replaces live interaction with friends and family, but it is a good addition when it gets difficult or impractical to get out with all the little ones.

As a side note, Dan gave up blogging for Lent. When he gets back, he'll really complain that I've turned this into a Mommy blog! Maybe I'll have to find a good news story to post on here. Maybe I'll have to quit being technologically lazy and figure out how to put some pictures on this blog.

Now there's a confession for you.

No comments: