Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sr. Mary Elizabeth, CP

Here is the latest "sound bite" of my sister's vocation story. I thought these write-ups about her vocation stopped a long time ago!

From the St. Louis Review

Sister Mary Elizabeth Brungardt, CP, entered the Passionist Nuns monastery in Ellisville in 1995 at age 27 after earning a master’s in human resource development and working as a college recruiter for two years. She made her final vows in 2003. Like her fellow cloistered nuns, prayer is her main ministry.

The native of Victoria, Kan., for several years worked in her order’s altar bread department before recently being placed in charge of monastery meals.

"I was in the fifth grade. There was this old Sister I knew. She wore the full habit. I remember how everything she wore was worn, but that was what attracted me. I thought then if I ever was going to be nun, I wanted to be like that.

I had always wanted to be a wife and mother. Later I began thinking of a career in business. In college, I went to a Marian peace conference. It was a vocation awareness weekend, and all these people were telling vocation stories. That’s when it became a real strong calling for me.

Which brings me back to the habit thing. I did a little research. I found Sisters with habits, but they were mainly cloistered, and I never even imagined cloistered life. I was just pretty overwhelmed. But I knew Jesus wanted me some place, so I just asked him. I was praying on the way home from work, and I was crying, asking Jesus to show me. I got home, and my mom hands me Our Sunday Visitor to read. The paper was folded, and when I opened it, there’s this little vocation ad from the Passionist Nuns — the only ad there. You know when God strikes you with something. So I knew. I wrote, and the superior wrote back. I came to visit, and I knew after that week."

Read the whole article here

No comments: