Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Imagination Time, But Not For Mommy

Yesterday, the three older kids were running around pretending things and when I asked what they were playing, they said "Little Red Riding Hood." Catherine was the Grandmother, Anne was "Riding Hood," and Dominic was "Bad Wolf." This is a game they love to play and they made it up on their own. Catherine is the director and tells them all what to do.

Daddy has made it into the cast of characters and is now the Woodcutter. I asked who Baby Joseph was, and after thinking about it for a while, he was dubbed "Baby Bad Wolf." Even Anne's dolly (Pink Baby) has a part. She is Red Riding Hood's baby sister. So then I asked who Mommy was and again they thought and the answer was...

"I don't know."

And off they ran to play!

2 comments:

melanie said...

Hi Janet,
I followed the link to your blog from a comment you made on danielle bean's blog the other day and just wanted to say hi :-)

I have 5 kids, twin boys who are 16 months old are the youngest, and my oldest is 7. I'm always eager to talk to other catholic moms who have had twins and then gone on to have other babies afterwards :-) So tell me how you do it? How did you feel when you were pregnant and having to care for the twins at the same time?

I know we want more kids sometime, but currently are using nfp to space it out a bit for now.

thanks!

melanie

House of Brungardt said...

Hi Melanie,

Wow, I just went to look at your blog and found your story about the twins' birth. Amazing! I can't imagine what that must have been like, although my husband was worried that would happen to us. :)

It was a bit tough being pregnant with twin toddlers running around, although after surviving the extreme sleep deprivation of the first 6 weeks with the twins, no amount of tiredness can ever quite compare. What I did was after the breakfast-get Daddy off to work-diaper change rush, I would lay on the couch for a while and the kids would play in the same room. Then I had it good after lunch because they all took a nap at the same time. I made sure I got a nap or at least lie down for an hour or so. Then I would get to do the same after dinner when Dan was home.

The house was not in tip top shape by any means, but that was something we had to live with. I relied on easy cooking and leftovers. Dan did a lot, too.

One thing for me, though, is I am not homeschooling yet, so I could make more time to rest.

Once you have gone through twins, having one baby seems so much easier. Don't get me wrong, it still is a lot of work, like any baby, but it just doesn't compare! Only one baby to nurse, one to carry around in the sling, one carseat to carry. When we got out, I would put the twins in the double stroller and carry the baby in the sling.

Anyway, those are my thoughts at present. Some days are great, some days I go crazy, but we are always blessed. Hopefully we will be blessed with more in the future!

And, I too always enjoy finding other moms with twins! Nice to meet you!

Janet