Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Friday Adventure

Last Friday afternoon I planned to take the kids to the library.  When we go, we usually spend about an hour there.  The kids play with puzzles, toys, the computer games, and of course, look for and read books.  I always look for and gather books we need for our next week or two of school, while trying to keep track of Anthony at the same time. 

So, we set out for the library, stopping at the bank on the way.  We got to the library, and as I got out of the van, I heard a curious hissing noise.  I quickly realized it was coming from the rear tire on the driver's side.  Bending down, I found a piece of metal stuck in the tire and asked myself, now what do I do?  Taking care of a flat tire is always an inconvenience, but with 5 kids along, this was definitely a challenge. 

First, we hurriedly took our very large stack of books into the library and picked up the three I had on hold.  I called Dan to consult and then, since the tire wasn't all the way flat, I carefully drove 2 miles to the nearest tire place.  Luckily they weren't that busy so they could get us right in.  We went to the customer area and there was a TV with all the channels, there were toys, books, crayons and coloring books, and of course, a candy machine.  I sat down and the kids happily played, read, colored, and watched cartoons.  They each got a quarter to pick out candy.  I even got to read part of a magazine.  In what seemed like a short time, less than 30 minutes, the tire was fixed and we were on our way. 

The best part was when we were driving back home and the kids thanked me for taking them there because they'd had so much fun!  Problem solved and happy kids to boot.  Woo-hoo!

No comments: