Sunday, August 7, 2011

Some Current Produce From The Garden

We've been picking peppers, a few tomatoes, lots of cucumbers, and some watermelon.  Our garden is like the oasis in the middle of the desert.  We went a whole month without any rain, so outside of the garden the grass is dormant and the cracks in the ground are so big that one day Anthony got his leg stuck in one and had to have help to get out.

At lunch time, I'll cut up a bunch of something and the kids will gobble it up.

I really should weigh some of the watermelon, because I bet I picked one that was at least 20 pounds.

This is often how the cucumbers get eaten.  Many times the kids eat them right in the garden.  I never knew kids could eat so many cukes! 

We've canned one batch (12 quarts) of dill pickles and I've done 10 pints of pickle relish, so we've put all those cucumbers to good use.  The squash, zucchini, and pumpkins got destroyed by squash bugs.    Hopefully the tomatoes hang in there, so I can get enough to put in the freezer.  But soon we will be eating lots of cantaloupe!

No comments: