Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Harvest

Rhubarb
So far I've frozen some of it.  Since rhubarb freezes so well, I wanted to stash some away for strawberry rhubarb jam.  I've also made rhubarb crisp, yum. 

Asparagus
We've been eating steamed asparagus once or twice a week.  The kids all like it (except Anthony) and will ask for more the whole time we are eating our meal.

The other day the boys and I went out and picked a bunch of radishes.  Then the girls sat in the yard and pulled all of the tops off.

Look, Mom!

The bucket, half full of radishes.

Then the girls washed some of them for lunch.  So far, we've mostly just eaten them raw, both whole and then sliced up into salads.  I did slice some up and put them into a stir-fry.  Delicious!  Anytime you cook radishes, they lose their heat.  I think I am going to try putting them into a pasta sauce next.  Last year I steamed them as a side dish, and I also made pickled radishes, which were good, but stinky in the fridge, so I haven't decided if I'll do those again. 

Spinach!

The kids hard at work in their garden.  They had a lot of weeds to tackle.

Dominic working on his gardening skills.

3 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

Please post your book reviews again! I saw them in my dashboard but I think Blogger deleted them. They looked interesting.

House of Brungardt said...

Go figure, the one time I have a post almost every day, they screw it up! I was kind of hoping the posts would somehow reappear. If they don't, I'll try to redo them. I saw you lost a couple of yours too.

Kansas Mom said...

I know. One was in the list of scheduled posts (even though it was past time) and one was in the list of drafts though it was missing the last round of edits. But at least one is completely gone and I'm not sure I'll bother rewriting it.