Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Corn, Corn Everywhere!

One evening about a week ago, Dan picked a whole bunch of corn and brought it inside for a shucking party. Usually they do it outside, but it has been so hot lately that at 6:00 it is still above 100 degrees and feels even worse.


Catherine was really a good helper:

Joseph helped pretty well for a 3 year old:


Dominic was good at it, too:



Anne was not very enthusiastic about the whole corn-shucking thing. I think this picture, blurry as it is, says it all:
I was holding Grumpy Baby, so I could not join in.
But, Dan and I have had 2 mornings of putting corn in the freezer: blanch the ears, cut the corn off the cobs, and package in freezer bags. So far we have put 25 bags (3 cups each) of corn off the cob, and 30 ears corn on the cob in the freezer. And we have eaten a ton of corn, as well! I'm not even sure how many ears have been harvested, but I think it is somewhere in the 400 plus range. And there is still another batch out in the garden that will be ready soon!
For the record, however, the house is being a bit (okay, a lot) neglected with all of this preserving going on.


No comments: