Saturday, March 7, 2009

More Thoughts on Miscarriage

As many of you know, I used to have a medical practice before Catherine was born. Part of my time as a doctor was spent at a local crisis pregnancy center providing sonograms and/or medical consultations for the women who came in. I did this until the twins were about 4 months old. Since that time I have provided my services to look over the sonograms that the sonographers do there. They send me the pictures on a flash drive and I review them.

Well, since the miscarriage I had been reluctant to look at the sonograms on the flash drive, but finally last week, I couldn't put it off any longer. I plugged it in and pulled up the pictures and began to look. There was a baby at 10 weeks, the number of weeks at which I miscarried, the size of baby I should have seen when I went for my sonogram. The woman's due date was only a couple of days different from mine. Then, I saw a baby at about 16-17 weeks, the size my baby would have been if I was still pregnant. It was a bit difficult to look at the pictures, and I cried a little, but it was good too, because I almost felt like I was looking at pictures of her.

Then, early this week, I got a little package in the mail. I've mentioned the Morning Light Ministry before, but I have to talk about them again. In this package, which they sent free of charge, were some blessed mementos for our Mary Joseph. Included was a pretty little white crocheted cross, a white baby rosary, some prayer cards, a tiny miraculous medal, and a divine mercy medal. On the back of the divine mercy medal it says, Jesus I Trust in You, which is the prayer I kept saying the week I was waiting to find out what was happening. They also put in a little handmade plush heart, which I plan to turn into a Christmas ornament for our baby. Then there was this bifold card in there from HLI which had a picture on the front of a real baby at 6 weeks along (it was from an ectopic pregnancy), the same age at which Mary had quit growing. So now I feel like I have a picture of her. All of these things are going into my pretty memory box. I am so grateful to have these things in memory of her. I won't ever forget her, and I don't want to forget. In fact, I think I will wear the divine mercy medal to remind me to ask her for prayers.

Mary Joseph, Pray for Us.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

That post brought a lump to my throat! Very sweet.