Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ginger Lentil Soup

I am always looking for different things to make on Fridays in Lent, without much expense. I found the recipe below in a cookbook which has become one of my favorites: 1000 Lowfat Recipes, by Terry Blonder Golson. I got it years ago and I am surprised at how much I use it. I don't necessarily follow all of the lowfat parts, but for recipes using lots of different herbs and spices, it is great!

If you like fresh grated ginger like I do, you will love this soup.

Ginger Lentil Soup
Sometimes it is a seemingly fussy technique that makes a recipe. For example, the spices for this soup are first cooked in the saute pan before being added to the simmering soup. This step enhances both flavor and aroma and since it only takes a minute is not as much bother as it might first appear.

1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked through
6 cups water
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 carrot, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 & 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
One 14 &1/2 oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1) Bring the lentils and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils begin to soften.

2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick pan. Saute the onions, carrot, and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to change color. Keep the lid on between stirrings.

3) Stir the ginger, coriander, and cumin into the onion mixture. Cook for 1 minute, then scrape it all into the pot with the lentils. Add the tomatoes, Tabasco, and salt to the pot.

4) Simmer the soup, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and cilantro, if using, and serve.

Makes: 5 servings


I didn't have any coriander, so I think I substituted tarragon. I cut out half the garlic and left out the Tabasco, in honor of the children of the house. I also added celery and for us the cilantro was not optional. I love cilantro! It was pretty easy to do, even with four little "helpers."

1 comment:

Kate Wicker said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing!