Monday, November 7, 2011

Never Thought I'd Experience One Here!

What am I talking about? 

An earthquake!

Here in Kansas we worry about tornadoes, hailstorms, windstorms, drought, flooding, lightning strikes, but I can say I have NEVER ONCE given earthquakes even a passing thought!

And yet, on Saturday night, we had just finished watching that crazy, but exciting K-State/OSU football game, where even with one second left to play, K-State had a chance to score to tie the game.  I went to get ready for bed and about 10-15 minutes later (10:53 pm to be exact), it started. 

I had just brushed my teeth and was about to open the door to leave the bathroom when I heard a bunch of rattling and banging.  I thought to myself, What on earth is Dan doing out there?!  In our bedroom, I was astonished to see two tall pillar candle holders and my jewelry box jumping around on my dresser.  Dan was out in the living room and said it sounded like there were people jumping up and down on the roof and trying to break in the doors.  In less than 30 seconds it all stopped and that was it.  The first earthquake experience for both of us.

Later, we found out the earthquake was of 5.6 magnitude and was centered about 45 miles east of Oklahoma City.

4 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

You know, I just saw in the paper that we (meaning, the world, I guess) were slated for all sorts of weird weather. That earthquake certainly qualifies, don't you think?

Makes ME think that this is God's way of saying "Ahem."

Margaret in Minnesota said...

PS. I'm glad you're safe!

Kansas Mom said...

And did you feel the one last night? Monday night? It was smaller, but we could still feel it. At least this time we knew right away what it was!

House of Brungardt said...

Margaret, that definitely falls in the weird category! Got any weird weather up your way?

Kansas Mom, I did feel the one last night. I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden realized it was shaking. So unsettling. No warning whatsoever.