Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Field Trip!

In our first month of school, we studied Mammals, Birds, Fish, and Habitats in Science class, so a couple of weeks ago, we took a field trip to the zoo.  We did not meet up with anyone, so that the kids and I would be able to talk about the topics we had learned in class (instead of me talking to the other mommies!) 



We got to see the baby chimp.


Joseph posed near the wallaroo, which was hopping about the Australian exhibit at will.


A beautiful and graceful swan.


We got to see the anteater in action.


The lions were out sunning on a large rock.


Then it was time for lunch and playtime at the playground.


Anthony rode in the stroller happily for a long time, then he fell asleep.  We used our free popcorn coupon, which got the kids all excited.  There is something about eating popcorn out of a box, I guess.


The zoo is full of these railings which attract little kids like magnets, as evidenced by Dominic in front of the leopard exhibit.


Doesn't that grizzly bear look all cuddly and cute?


Every time we go to the zoo, the kids turn into these ravenous little eating machines, so we stopped a lot for a snack.


We were at the zoo for about 4 hours, and for the last hour and a half or so, this was Anthony's mode of travel.  He liked it very much, but boy, did he get heavy!

Our last stop was the penguins, where one of them was really putting on a show, swimming along and diving in and out of the water.  I was amazed at how much the kids remembered from class and I was surprised at how much more I knew from teaching them!

1 comment:

Kansas Mom said...

What a wonderful field trip! I love it when we see the anteater, which is only once in a blue moon!

I'm hoping to make it to the zoo in the next few weeks for a bird-drawing exercise. I feel like we haven't been there in a while...wish I had a stroller for Second Son, though. He gets heavy, too.