Thursday, July 17, 2008

Trip to Victoria

This past weekend we went to Victoria, Kansas for the wedding of Dan's niece. We stayed in the house that used to belong to Dan's grandfather and now belongs to his uncle(Fr. Al). Dan's mom lives two houses down the street, but her casa was full.

So the kids got to explore the little family chapel: Dominic is thrilled to sit on the tractor:
Joseph gets a turn:
The girls are trying to feed apples to the horses, but I think they (the girls) are too scared to get close enough.

Note in the picture above the twin steeples. If you have ever driven across Kansas on I-70, you have passed the sign for the Cathedral of the Plains (the church is actually named St. Fidelis) and have seen these very steeples off in the distance. If you ever have the chance to stop, it is well worth a visit. My family did that very thing long before I ever met Dan!
Dan's great-grandfather helped build the church back in 1908-1911. If I have the story straight, each family had to haul so many wagonloads of limestone to the church site. (Dan can correct me if I have any of this wrong!) The big 100 year celebrations will start this fall and end in 2011.

No comments: