Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Is That All You've Got?

Today I took Joseph in for his one year checkup. All the way through the exam, he did fine and he never fussed or fought against anything. When it came time for shots, I held his little hands and waited for the big cry. And waited. And waited. Then I realized the nurses had already given them. He didn't cry! Wow! All the other kids cried when they got shots. I felt his body stiffen, but he looked at the nurses, seeming to say, "No big deal."

Then I had to take him down to the lab to get his little finger poked for the lead screening and I thought, surely he'll cry for this. All he did was a one second little fuss, and then the look on his face said, "Is that all you've got?" He seemed to be fascinated by the blood slowly being squeezed out of his finger. It was weird. I felt like I could have even let go of him and he would have been just fine.

I suppose you are never done being surprised by your kids!

No comments: