Thursday, April 17, 2008

Who's In Charge?

It has been quite exciting watching all of the Papal events on EWTN the last few days. How I would love to be there to see him in person, but I wouldn't get to see everything like I do on TV. My parents and my brother, the priest, get to go to the Papal Mass at Yankee Stadium on Sunday. Lucky them!! (You had better pray for us while you are there!)

Today I sat down to watch the Papal Mass at the stadium in New York City. The kids were in high gear, tumbling all over each other like little puppies, and occasionally stopping to yell, "The POPE!" Or, out of the blue, Dominic would start singing, "Happy Birtday to you, Pope!"

Partway through the Mass, I started to wonder who on earth was in charge of the music selection. A glorious occasion, Pope Benedict is here, let's bring out the best music! What do we get? Mediocre stuff, at best. Quite a mishmash, too. It seemed more like a big variety show than a solemn Papal Mass.

However, they almost redeemed themselves after communion. Placido Domingo came out to sing "Panis Angelicus" and it was wonderful. The Pope thought so, too.

I guess there were a few other songs that were fine but they were overshadowed by the goofy stuff. So much for Pope Benedict's call for liturgical music reform.

*By the way, this is our 100th post! Wow!

No comments: