Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wow, you must have your hands full!

I went to the grocery store with our 4 kids the other day, which is always an adventure. Luckily our local grocery store got these nifty carts within the last year (just in time for #4) where you can put 2 kids side by side on the top and then 2 in a little fun car attached to the front. And you still have room for groceries in the main basket! Is Dillons becoming more in tune to families with lots of little ones? I think I will call them the pro-life carts. Although, most of the people I see using them have one child riding in the little car. Which brings me to the other day, when I got to the store, all those carts were gone! I was in a panic. How can I shop with a 3 and 1/2 year old, 2 year old twins, and a 3 month old baby? Not to mention compare prices and juggle coupons and my grocery list (which I write out in order of how items are arranged in the store). Luckily they still had some old nifty carts, which can fit 3 kids, so I let the oldest child walk and "help" Mommy. We managed to make do, although every New Nifty Cart I saw in the store had one kid in it! Then the comments started. Within minutes I heard the two most common. "Are they all yours?" "Wow, you must have your hands full!" I nod and smile and continue shopping. "Better you than me." Yes, probably so. Some people go so far as to ask, "Are you done yet?" Sometimes I'll just say I hope not, other times I'll say maybe we're halfway done. Some people are speechless, some look shocked, but I am surprised at the positive comments I get on occasion. It is interesting how a stranger will make a comment (very personal, sometimes!) in a disparaging way, then when she hears your pro-family answer, it seems to really make her think. I think perhaps my greatest pro-life work at this time in my life is just being there for people to see.

posted by Janet

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I can totally relate! We also have 4 children: 8, 5, 3, and 9 months old. I get the "Wow, you must have your hands full!" comment all the time! I haven't had any negative comments yet (like "are you done yet??), but then my dh does most of the grocery shopping. Congratulations on your newest little guy!

House of Brungardt said...

Thanks, Dawnie!

My husband gets to hear comments at work, too, such as, "Don't you know what causes that?"

Dawn said...

Yeah, my dh hears comments at work like that, too. He counters with, "Yes, I know EXACTLY what causes that!" (with a big smile)

Hanging out with Catholic homeschoolers all the time, I live a pretty sheltered life! I don't know how I would hold up to the daily assault of our values that he has to endure.

Greywolf said...

I believe that I was inspired during a homily several months ago with a great response, which of course I shared. To the question, "Are those all yours?" (which of course they can see are all yours but say it to 'register' their shock), say, "Where are the rest of yours?" It is a great response but probably not the most charitable.

My homily today was an encouragement to receiving from God the blessing of children. How hard we (the people of this generation) work to make money. We will do anything. We should put the same energy, activity, effort, brilliance, etc. into raising our families.