Friday, August 6, 2010

Jams, Jelly, and Relish

Dan planted mint this year and boy, did it go crazy. We've been drinking ice tea with mint, I made mint syrup(hoping to try making mint juleps!), and...

...I made some mint jelly. It's amazing how, well, um, minty it gets. This was my first time making jelly by myself and it turned out well. I made two batches, ending up with 4 pints.

Then I used our entire rhubarb harvest (4 cups diced) to make a batch(2 pints) of rhubarb-strawberry preserves, which was really good. And I made some strawberry freezer jam just to see how we liked it (it's good but we like the cooked/canned version better).



Dan planted pickling cucumbers this year and the first thing I did with those was make some pickle relish, using the cucumbers and onions from our garden. The food processor made that fairly easy.
Stay tuned for pickling pickles!



3 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

Oh, I hope we have enough pickling cucumbers next year for relish. I love that stuff! Yours looks beautiful.

House of Brungardt said...

I'll have to bring you a jar next time I see you.

Kansas Mom said...

I'd love one! I'll trade you a jar of strawberry something.